Friday, July 2, 2010

The Vet

I took my cat into the vet today... I was pretty sure that she was in good health and didn't really need to go, but she was due for her shots, so I wasn't expecting a crazy bill or anything. Boy was I wrong. I got the minimum of what she needed and it still came up to $170, even with a coupon. I guess I just didn't have a realistic idea of what it costs to really take care of a cat. I still need to get a dental cleaning for her, and that is going to be $350 (plus I have to get blood tests before that). So I am a bit overwhelmed right now. I find it kind of embarrassing that I spend money on makeup so easily, but that I even think twice about spending money on my cat. I guess part of it is that I wasn't expecting it to cost so much, and if I was prepared to spend that much money I wouldn't be so overwhelmed right now. The veterinarian said that I could wait about 3 months to get the cleaning, but I shouldn't wait any longer. I didn't feel too pressured because I knew that she needs a cleaning since the lady that I got her from informed me that she had teeth removed before I got her. .. She is an older Siamese cat, so I don't want to mess with not getting it done, but I am a little freaked out about them putting her under for it ;/

So I guess I'm going to have to work more, or save up for a few months to get this done. I bought her some t/d special cat food so that should help. I also bought some cat toothpaste and a toothbrush a few months ago, but she will not let me brush her teeth. I'm going to try again, but I'm not expecting any miracles. I have been looking into this insurance for her, and I'm starting to think that it is a good solution for me. The quote I got was $47/month for her, which covers 90% of bills with a $50 co-pay. This comes up to $564/year, which is a lot, but if she needs a cleaning every year, or anything else happens, then it will pay for itself. She is 8 years old, so it is probably a good idea (especially since I think you can't get insurance after they are 10, you can only continue insurance after they are that old).

Here is a picture of Lila, the best cat in the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment